Questions And Answers
What happens when we first meet?
Prior to your arrival, we will make arrangements to meet you at a predetermined time and place at the airport (usually by the people mover bus stop). This is done a few days prior to your rental to confirm the details. We ask that you text/call cell phone 907-602-6604 at your last stop before Anchorage and again as soon as you land.
We then usually arrange to pick you up at the airport at the designated location after you get your bags. We then drive to the storage lot and demonstrate all the various features and systems and show you the labels and instruction sheets and demonstrate how things operate. When we meet you for the first time, anticipate about 30 to 60 minutes of training and paperwork to familiarize yourself with the motorhome. During your travels, we are always available via cell/text phone to answer any questions while you are on the road.
Where can we camp for the first or last night in Anchorage?
For late arrivals, you can take an Uber or cab and get the key from the lock box (MUST BE PREARRANGED) and then you can sleep at the lot until you are rested and ready to travel. We will arrange to meet you the next morning to demonstrate the motorhome, fill out the paperwork, take pictures or give you a ride to the airport, etc.
How are the daily rates figured?
When you rent a motorhome from Alaska Family Motorhomes (AFM) website, we book by the calendar day. However, depending on insurance rules and availability and additional fees, you may be able to pick up the RV as early as 6PM in the evening prior to your start date. We do this as a courtesy, since many flights into Alaska arrive late evening or early morning. Alternately, if you use a service such as RV share or Outdoorsy for your booking, their stated rules will apply. In both cases, 5pm return on the last rental day is the norm, However ALL incoming and outgoing times are arranged BY Appointment Only.
An AFM typical booking example… if you request July 2nd to July 8th, it will be 7 calendar (rental) days. The booking starts as early as 6PM on July 1st (if insurance and fees are paid up) and you need to return the motorhome before 5PM on July 8th. If you count the calendar days it is July 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th for a total of seven calendar days. We have found that this works great for most travelers especially if you arrive at 8PM on July 1st or early on July 2nd, All incoming and outgoing times are scheduled in advance by appointment only.
- If you rent for seven days or longer, I have a built-in $10 to $20 deduction on the standard daily rate (Varies with season, length of stay and vehicle). If the standard daily rate is $180 per day and the rental is as stated above, then the actual rent is $160/day times 7 days which equals $1120 plus tax, plus options. This is automatically calculated into the rate and may not be apparent.
- There is an 8% Municipality of Anchorage tax and 3% State of Alaska tax for a total of 11%
- Using the example above $1120 plus 11% ($123.20) equals $1243.20 for the final cost (plus selected insurance and optional fees as desired).
- Ask For A Free Quote! [email protected]
- Customized booking dates and times are available
- After hours pickup & drop-off is available for a onetime fee, based on availability.
Is there a cost to use the generator?
How do we get to the motorhome?
We operate out of a private storage lot located at 5737 Old Seward Highway. We offer free airport or hotel pickup and drop-off in Anchorage, Alaska during the normal operating hours of 8AM to 6PM. Likewise, we must meet by appointment only. Please be sure to call or text the main cell phone number 907-602-6604 well in advance to make specific arrangements. After hours (6PM to 8AM) appointments may sometimes be arranged in advance for a onetime fee. There is an hourly penalty fee if you are late to return
Is Mileage included?
What is the optional Bedding Package?
What about insurance?
We prefer that you use Wheelbase/outdoorsy as the primary insurance carrier. Due to previous issues, we hesitate to use your full coverage insurance. Should we agree to use your insurance, you will have to get your insurance company to send us written proof of full coverage insurance (binder) on the specific motorhome VIN for the specific rental period. You will not be allowed to move the RV out of the lot until insurance is settled in writing. I prefer this written insurance binder about two weeks before the rental date.
IF YOU ARE UNDER 25 Years Old, please talk to your insurance company to see if your full coverage insurance will transfer to a rented RV. Or else, call State Farm and get a full coverage policy with them.
All drivers will have to get verified by Wheelbase/Outdoorsy system or be pre-approved by Tom Janezich. Most vehicles require a minimum age of 25 with some exceptions allowed on certain RV’s. Contact AFM for exceptions to this rule.
Collision and comprehensive deductibles (starts at $500 or 8% of value) will apply.
What other types of insurance is available?
- Medical Expenses
- Natural disaster
- Family emergencies
- Loss or delays
- 24/7 assistance
Do you deliver RV's outside of Anchorage?
What items are included in most Motorhomes?
- Kitchen Items: Silverware, glasses, pots, pans, bowls, plates, toaster, coffee pot
- Generator: (supplied by Gasoline from vehicle tank) (motorhomes only, NOT camper vans)
- Stove top, Oven
- Air Conditioning: Rooftop, dash or both
- Heater: Propane forced air
- Hot Water Heater: Propane
- Refrigerator/Freezer: Propane/AC
- Water pump, Water Tanks: Fresh, Gray and Black
- Toilet, shower, sinks
- Sleeping Areas: 3 or 4 sleeping areas rated for up to 6 or 8 people.
- TV’s and DVD’s available in most units
- Coach battery system
- Seating; 6 to 9 seat belts
What items are included in a Basic Camper Van?
- Kitchen Items: Portable propane stove, cooler, Silverware, glasses, pot, pan, bowls, plates
- Some portable frig freezers operating from optional battery system
- Air Conditioning: Automotive dash only
- Heater: Automotive dash only
- Typical Sleeping area; Full size folding bed or Full size mattress, floor space
- Some rooftop units
- Seating; can sometimes be individually configured, minimum 2 up to 5 seat belts
How do I reserve the motorhome rental now?
- Rental dates are not locked until a deposit is received
- Use the booking calendar on this website and make your reservation (or)
- Email us at [email protected] (or)
- Fax 907-349-4747 (or)
- Cell/Text 907-602-6604 (or) 907-223-9351
- Indicate type of unit you prefer… small, large, unsure
- VERY IMPORTANT, We need to know the start date and end date of your request
- Pre-lock your dates with a 50% payment is required
- There is a separate $750-1500 security/cleaning/lease deposit required at time of rental. This deposit is fully refundable if the motorhome is returned to the same condition as when you picked it up and all other conditions of lease are satisfied
When we meet you for the first time, anticipate about 30 to 60 minutes of training to familiarize yourself with the motorhome and the paperwork. We will review all the various features and systems with you and show you the labels and instruction sheets to help you remember how things operate. And of course, we are always available via cell/text phone to answer any questions while you are on the road.
If you have any other questions, please email us at [email protected]